The thought of your senior suffering from cancer is likely one of the most frightening issues of your caregiver journey with them. Understanding the specific forms of cancer and protecting your parent, or preparing yourself to give them the level of care that they need and deserve, is an important part of being the best caregiver for them that you can, and helping them to live the highest quality of life possible as they age in place. This starts with recognizing if your aging parent may be at increased risk of suffering this form of cancer.
Some risk factors that increase the possibility that your senior will suffer thyroid cancer include:
- Being female. The instance of thyroid cancer in women is approximately three times as high as that in men.
- Age. Most women who are diagnosed with thyroid cancer are in their 40s or 50s. Most men who are diagnosed with thyroid cancer are in their 60s or 70s.
- Family history. Those who have a parent, child, or sibling with thyroid cancer are at increased risk of suffering the cancer, even if there does not appear to be a hereditary link.
- Hereditary illnesses. Genetic abnormalities leading to hereditary illnesses, including other forms of cancer and Carney complex type 1, are at higher risk of experiencing thyroid cancer.
- Diet. Not getting enough iodine in the diet increases the chances of this form of cancer.
- Radiation. If your senior was exposed to radiation as a child, they are at increased risk for thyroid cancer. This could come in the form of radiation treatments for other cancers as well as environmental exposure. Radiation exposure as an adult carries a much lower increase in risk.
If you have been looking for a way to enhance your parent’s quality of life and help them to achieve and maintain a healthier, safer, and more comfortable lifestyle as they age in place, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting elder care for them. An elderly home care services provider can be with your parent to fill any care gaps that might exist, support them in healthy lifestyle choices, and encourage them to pursue as much independence, activity, and fulfillment as possible as they age in place. As a family caregiver it can give you confidence knowing that whether you are able to be with your parent or not, they are in good hands. Whether you live at a distance and are unable to be with them as frequently as you would want to be, or your own schedule and limitations keep you from giving them all of the care and support that they need, the highly personalized services of an elder care provider are designed to ensure your senior has the support and care that they need at all times.
The staff at Home Care Matters is available to talk with you and your family about all of your needs. Home Care Matters is a home care agency providing quality and affordable elder care in Flowery Branch, GA and the surrounding areas. Call (678) 828-2195 for more information.
- What Do You Need to Know if Your Senior Is Bruising More Often? - July 31, 2020
- Irritability and the elderly: how to keep your cool - July 24, 2020
- 4 Tips for Dealing with Power Outages for Someone Who Needs Oxygen - July 17, 2020